Maryknoll Teacher Formation Strategy
FORMATION + IMMERSION = ANIMATION
and TRANSFORMATION of school communities
We believe that by providing educators with strong formation opportunities and powerful immersion experiences, we can help animate them as mission educators in their schools and dioceses. By supporting educators through our three-phase teacher development plan, we can help empower them as mission educators to transform students, families, and your fellow educators in answering their baptismal call to mission.
As a Maryknoll Teacher Mission Partner member, you will periodic email updates on resources and opportunities, including on the programs below. Learn more about becoming a member.
Maryknoll offers professional development opportunities for Catholic educators to develop their awareness and skills as mission educators.
Missionary Disciples Formation Program: This program is designed to give educators a strong grounding in mission as viewed through Scripture, Church history, and current models and methods for mission today. It also is designed to help educators develop and share a spirituality grounded in mission, and develop the skills and resources to incorporate mission into your curriculum.
Encounter mission firsthand with an experience crafted specifically not only for the formation of the educator, but to bring the voices and faces of children from around the world into the classroom. Our immersion program focuses on:
- Experiences of daily life in typical communities
- Encounters with youth and families
- Immersion into cultural and socio-political realities
- Visits to schools and programs serving children
- Encounters with Maryknoll programs and other programs working to address needs in areas such as education, health, and economic distress
- Professional development linked to Church teaching
- Prayer and reflection within a community of fellow educators
- Building relationships with people from different cultures
- Exploration of the Church's relationship with the world
- Assistance with integrating the experience into your curriculum/school community
Learn more about our Immersion Program
As you work to incorporate mission into your educational ministry, Maryknoll offers continued resources and support along the way. By becoming a Teacher Mission Partner, you can stay plugged in to opportunities to further your development as a mission educator. You also will be able to share and receive resources among a network of fellow mission educators.
Other resources available to educators: