Missionary Disciples Formation Seminar
Proclaiming Joy in a Chaotic World
Balancing Action and Contemplation
2020 Online Webinar dates to be announced soon!
In a world that seems increasingly chaotic and a country where division is growing, our international Maryknoll experiences have provided us with a blueprint into the beauty and richness that comes with encountering the “other” with the joy of the Gospel. Are we really called to be joyful in these times? How do we spread this joy amidst increasing concerns over climate change, massive migration and an upcoming presidential election? Join us as we dive deeper into Pope Francis’ continued focus on joy as an essential key to missionary discipleship by examining our current socio-political reality in the US while discerning our call to be joyful in the midst of a chaotic world.
Pope Francis reminds us that joy is the essential key to missionary discipleship. It is not only the desired outcome that results from leaving our comfort zone to encounter God at the periphery, but it is only thing we ultimately have to offer others.
Last year at the Advanced Seminar we reflected on how to build bridges in a polarized world. We discovered that the foundation of any bridge is the joy that comes from accepting and sharing God's love. It is a message needed more than ever in a rapidly changing world that is plagued by fear and hatred, particularly of the "other" who is seen as a threat.
Join us this year as we continue this discussion and ponder how to be joyful people in a chaotic world.
Within a collaborative seminar/retreat format using the See-Judge-Act methodology of Evangelii Gaudium, we we will continue to develop the knowledge, skills and confidence to teach and inspire others to live out their own call as missionary disciples.
Requirements: Participation in the Basic Mission Education Formation Program, a mission immersion trip or equivalent mission education training or experience.
For more information contact Walter Hidalgo
A committed missionary knows the joy of being a spring which spills over and refreshes others. Only the person who feels happiness in seeking the good of others, in desiring their happiness, can be a missionary. Pope Francis Evangelii Gaudium 272.
The Christian identity card is joy, the Gospel’s joy, the joy of having been chosen by Jesus, saved by Jesus, regenerated by Jesus; the joy of that hope that Jesus is waiting for us, the joy that - even with the crosses and sufferings we bear in this life - is expressed in another way, which is peace in the certainty that Jesus accompanies us, is with us. Pope Francis
Go deeper in your understanding of mission and evangelization.
Continue to develop the knowledge, skills and confidence to teach and inspire others to live out their own call as missionary disciples.
Advanced Missionary Discipleship Formation Seminars include:
- A deeper look at the mission narrative from our Scriptural and historical foundations to better understand our own response to God's invitation to participate in the mission of love
- An examination of mission within our own context and culture and how that relates and connects to a more global understanding of mission grounded in solidarity.
- How to grow in our own identity as a missionary and encourage and support a spirituality grounded in mission for others
- How to become more effective and engaging in forming others to respond to their own baptismal call to mission
- Best practices for developing mission education components and programs at the school, parish and diocesan level
Upon successful completion the participant will have:
- Developed a deeper understanding of mission, their own identity as a mission educator and continued to develop a spirituality based on global solidarity
- Advanced competence to do mission education presentations and incorporate mission into curricula and programs
- Confidence to assist other parish ministers to incorporate mission into their identity and programs
- Training necessary to become an instructor of Module One Basic Mission Education Training Session (above).
- Successful completion of the Basic Mission Education Training Program (see above) or equivalent mission education training or experience.
Program Format: Online Webinar via ZOOM
- Constants in Context, Bevans & Schroeder
- The Mission of God and Postmodern Culture, Sivalon
- Evangelii Gaudium, Pope Francis
- Redemptoris Missio, Pope John Paul II