Share the Joy of Mission
In June 2013 a small group of people left the comfort of their homes in the U.S. to embark on an adventure, a treasure hunt, to discover the sacred presence of God in the people of Guatemala. These are their stories.
Inspired by the book “What They Taught Us” edited by Joseph A. Heim, M.M., participants of the 2013 Mission Immersion Program in Guatemala, Esquipulas were asked to write a reflection on one of their experiences. With minimal editing, the essays were printed and the present booklet produced in hopes that others who have engaged in a short term mission immersion program might reflect on their experience of what the poor have taught them.
Matthew Rousso, Director
Maryknoll Mission Education/Promotion
New Orleans, Louisiana
The Maryknoll Mission Immersion Program provides parish ministers,
DREs and catechists with a unique mission experience.
MISSION GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Experience God in new unexpected places
- Build relationships with people of different cultures
- Learn new ways to ignite the fire of missio in parish
- Become a living witness of the Gospel
- Pre-trip orientation
- Visits to local schools and children’s programs
- Home and community visits with families
- Professional development
- Post-trip debriefing and reflection
- Continuing education credits
It looked like a truck – it sounded like a truck – itsmelled like a truck, but oh my goodness, it didn’tfeel like a truck when Matt was hitting those bumps!